With all the bitching and moaning, perpetually low morale, busy season blues, why would anyone work in public accounting? Why would any recent college graduate enter the field, and why would any experienced worker stay in the field? Let's list the obvious pros and cons.
1) long hours
2) low pay (at least for first five years)
3) high stress/pressure
4) socially challenged coworkers/managers
5) boring, menial tasks (at least for first five years)
6) long, slow path of promotion
7) remote probability of making partner
Hmmmm… I'm stumped.
I'd really like to hear the positive side from someone who has stayed in public accounting 10+ years and can honestly look themselves in the mirror and say they love their job (and not just because they're a partner pulling down 300 Gs a year).