Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Difference between 1231 and 1245 property

Can anyone give me a simple, straightforward way to differentiate between 1231 and 1245 property?  I don't mean the treatment of gains/losses, I'm just talking about being able to identify which category something would fall into.  I know there are other types (1250, etc.), but the definitions of 1231 and 1245 seem to overlap somewhat.