You may or may not be aware that there is such a thing as Construction Executive magazine, and you may or may not be aware that Construction Executive magazine has ranked accounting firms with construction practices for the past four years. You may or may not be aware that there is an accounting firm called CliftonLarsonAllen, and you may or may not be aware that CLA (as the cool kids call it) has been named the top construction accounting firm all four years of the trade publication’s ranking.
To accomplish said ranking for 2022, Construction Executive asked more than 700 U.S. construction accounting firms to complete a survey. The data collected included:
- 2021 revenues from the firm’s construction practice;
- Number of CPAs in the firm’s construction practice;
- Percentage of the firm’s total revenues derived from its construction practice;
- Number of states in which the firm is licensed to practice;
- Year in which the construction practice was established; and
- Number of architecture, engineering, and construction (AEC) clients served during fiscal year 2021.
The ranking was determined by an algorithm that weighted these factors in descending order of importance, according to Construction Executive.
Of the 50 accounting firms that were ranked, CLA has the most employees with Certified Construction Industry Financial Professional designations (42) and the most AEC clients in the U.S. (10,933). The firm also has the fourth-most construction CPAs (261).
Here are the top 25 construction accounting firms for 2022:
2. BKD (umm, someone needs to let Construction Executive know about Forvis!)
4. Baker Tilly
7. Moss Adams
8. Plante Moran
10. CBIZ & Mayer Hoffman McCann
11. Eide Bailly
13. Doeren Mayhew
15. Aldrich CPAs
17. Dixon Hughes Goodman (Forvis!)
18. Somerset CPAs
19. Carr, Riggs & Ingram
22. Citrin Cooperman
23. UHY Advisors
25. Warren Averett
You can see which firms were ranked Nos. 26 to 50 here.