Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

The AICPA’s Top 10 Tips For Procrastinating Taxpayers

Happy almost April 17th, people! Home stretch here, home stretch.

Those helpful folks at the AICPA have issued some tips for trudging slowly toward tax day that probably won't do most of you any good but might serve some procrastinating taxpayers well. Let's put aside our superiority complex for a moment and share. My useless comments are included [in brackets].

Here are 10 questions and answers from the American Institute of CPAs to help you with any last-minute uncertainties you may have as the deadline for filing your 2011 individual income tax return approaches.

Q.       Is April 15 still the deadline for filing my tax return?

A.       Not this year. You have two extra days this year because April 15 is a Sunday and April 16 is a local holiday in the District of Columbia. That means that you have until midnight on Tuesday, April 17, to file your federal tax return. It is also the due date for First Quarter Estimates if you are required to pay estimated taxes quarterly. [fun fact, April 15th is also my cat's birthday. So it's only fitting that DC would declare the day after a holiday]


Q.       Do I have to make that mad rush to the post office to mail my tax return by midnight on April 17?

A.       Not if you e-file. The IRS strongly encourages taxpayers who have access to a computer to file online at Your local certified public accountant can also electronically file your return for you. If you prefer to mail your return, the United States Postal Service uses special procedures and maintains extra-long hours to make it as easy as possible for taxpayers who wait until the last minute to get their returns in the mail by midnight. You can also use one of the IRS-designated private delivery services. [OK seriously, when was the last time people stormed the post office on tax night? 1995?]


Q.       What does it cost to file my return online?

A.       There is no charge to use IRS e-file to file your return electronically.


Q.       What do I do if I can’t file by the April 17 deadline? [You have a few options: hide, leave for Mexico or do the reasonable thing and get an extension]

A.       Individuals who need additional time should submit a request for an extension by filing IRS Form 4868, “Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.” 


Q.       Can Form 4868 be filed electronically?

A.       Yes.  Or, request an extension by mailing Form 4868 by midnight on April 17, 2012.


Q.       How will I know if my request for an extension has been approved?

A.       Filing a Form 4868 on time and in accordance with all IRS requirements automatically grants a taxpayer an extension to file their 2011 income tax return until Oct. 15, 2012.


Q.       How complicated is Form 4868? Will I be able to fill it out myself?

A.       Form 4868 is very short, only asks for basic contact information and requires that you estimate what your taxes are for 2011. If you prefer, your certified public accountant can file the form on your behalf or answer any questions you may have. [See, this is why the AICPA is way better equipped to help these people than me. If someone asked me if Form 4868 was complicated, I'd ask in the shittiest voice possible "DID YOU EVEN CLICK ON THE LINK I JUST GAVE YOU AND LOOK? CHRIST."]


Q.       Why am I required to estimate my taxes if I’m requesting an extension?

A.       Correctly filing Form 4868 only extends the date by which you have to submit your tax return. It does not delay the requirement to pay your taxes by April 17.  You will need to estimate the taxes you owe because at least 90 percent of what you owe must be included with your Form 4868.  Otherwise, you likely will be subject to interest and late filing penalties. [My answer to this would be different, obviously, something along the lines of "Because the Treasury has bills to pay too, fool. Just because you can't file on time doesn't mean you don't owe them money and that Chinese credit card ain't gonna pay itself, kid.]


Q.       What if I request an extension but think I’ll be getting a refund? [Then you are an idiot. You already loaned the federal government money at 0% interest, why on Earth would you drag your feet to get that back?!]

A.       If you are expecting a refund, you don’t need to do anything other than file Form 4868. However, you will not receive a refund until you have filed your tax return.

Q.       Does filing Form 4868 also give me an extension on the deadline for submitting my state income tax forms?

A.       It depends. Each state has different rules. Be sure to check your state’s filing requirements for requesting an extension.


Hurry up, people, the clock is ticking.