Robert Snell over at the Tax Watchdog has another tax delinquent scoop and for the first time – as far as we can remember – it involves a dashing adventurous type as opposed to your run-of-the-mill hip-hop artist or Nicolas Cage.
Jean-Michel Cousteau (whose beard has to be the inspiration for Steve Zissou, even though the film is a parody of the old man) owes the IRS and the State of California around $3 million from a slew of liens:
• The IRS filed a $109,768 lien against him July 20.
• The IRS filed a $480,061 lien June 22.
• The IRS filed a $600,076 lien June 15.
• The state of California filed a $60,198 lien against him April 29.
• The IRS filed a $212,748 lien Dec. 16, 2009.
• The IRS filed a $238,852 lien Oct. 15, 2009.
• The state of California filed a $41,860 lien Oct. 8, 2009.
• The IRS filed a $193,496 lien April 14, 2009.
• The IRS filed a $187,423 lien April 14, 2009.
• The IRS filed a $518,227 lien April 6, 2009.
• The IRS filed a $396,586 lien Feb. 1, 2008.
Jesus, man. No room for a CPA on your boats? We realize that some have weight issues which could cause a problem but just throw them in the water regularly and they’ll shed the extra pounds in no time.
Ocean explorer underwater on taxes [Tax Watchdog]