Job Title: Technical Tax Senior Manager
Location: New York, NY
Hiring Company: Berdon LLP
Berdon LLP has a unique opportunity for a committed tax professional with high level skills and experience in business oriented technical and transactional tax matters, with an emphasis on real estate, both institutional and private, and closely held businesses. Depth in taxation of partnerships and other pass through entities is critical, as well as exposure to international matters.
The firm has a broad client base and seeks an individual with technical strength and leadership ability. The firm’s goal for the position is to function as a senior technician in the technical tax group that serves as both an outward facing consulting practice as well as an internal resource for the firm’s accounting and tax professionals. The role has meaningful growth potential in professional advancement and compensation. The firm currently has senior tax professionals with deep technical competence and transactional experience involved primarily in client service. This role is to provide top level technical support for them and other professionals within the firm.
- Serve as a technical resource to the firm’s partners and other tax and non-tax professionals, including:
- dealing with day to day client related matters in business and individual tax;
- reviewing and/or conceiving transaction structures in M&A, financing, sales, etc.; and
- reviewing and/or conceiving partnership agreement waterfall, allocation and other business and tax-oriented provisions in collaboration with client legal counsel; and
- assessing return filing positions and other compliance related issues; and
- Identify, train and supervise tax professionals within and without the technical group.
- Participate in the tax department’s quality control function, reviewing client tax positions and strategies, developing firm policy on tax matters, Circular 230 compliance, etc.
- Work with other professional service lines within the firm (e.g., audit, valuation) to optimize the firm’s ability to service clients with transactional tax and advisory needs.
- Participate in essential tax department functions including designing and implementing educational programs, identify and disseminating information concerning tax law changes and developments, including, where appropriate, to the firm’s client base and/or media and professional publications.
- Review and/or negotiate with outside attorneys and/or advisors regarding documents, language, structures, etc.
- Work with tax department and firm leadership to ensure that the tax consulting practice attains and maintains the appropriate internal and external profile.
- CPA or JD required
- MS in Taxation and/or LLM preferred
- 7+ years of experience working for a public accounting firm, law firm or comparable industry experience
- Deep experience within real estate, institutional and private, other industries and closely held businesses, with emphasis on partnership, pass-thru, and other business entity taxation
- Strong leadership skills and ambitions
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills