Job Title: Tax Manager State Income Tax Compliance /Corporate Income Tax Manager
Location: San Antonio, TX
Hiring Company: Howard-Sloan Search
To apply for either of these positions please e-mail a strictly Confidential MS WORD attachment of your resume ASAP, and specify which position you are interested in. E-mail to: [email protected]
Tax Manager – State Income Tax Compliance
This position can be REMOTE or seated in San Antonio, TX OR Findlay, OH. Relocation is offered for this position, per mileage requirements.
Management role in Fortune 25 tax department of 115 professionals; manage the 8-person state income tax team of 2 direct reports and 5-6 indirect reports. Responsibility includes mentoring, coaching and developing staff; managing tax compliance, manage the modeling of state income taxes; report to and work closely with Tax Director, Income Tax – State and Partnership.
- Reports to the Tax Director – Partnership and State Income Tax
- The Tax Manager – State Income Tax Compliance is the leader of the state income tax compliance and provision processes. This leader is a state income tax specialist with extensive knowledge of state income taxes and can lead a state income tax compliance team focusing on income tax compliance, ASC-740, and state audit defense. Must be able to effectively manage the modeling of state income taxes at both corporate and partnership business entities. Must have the proven ability to motivate and lead a large team through the timely execution of the state income tax compliance cycle from planning to provision to tax return completion.
- Provides direct oversight and highly effective management and mentoring of the state income tax compliance team that, in the aggregate, prepares the state income tax forecast and state tax provision (ASC-740), prepares and files approximately 1,000 tax returns and pays state and local income taxes for all entities owned by –
- Marathon Petroleum Corporation, (MPC)
- Effectively manage all corporate income tax filings and state income tax return positions, determine and pay all income taxes timely, provide all accounting for income tax payments. Determine the effect on MPC’s tax filings of MPLX business and M&A activity
- MPLX LP, (MPLX)
- Effectively manage all partnership income tax filings and tax return positions, determine and pay all income taxes timely, provide all accounting for income tax payments.
- Assist in the Management of the state income tax SAP fixed asset books (12) reporting for all entities.
- Manage the operations and strategic use of all tax compliance systems, technology assets and their interaction with SAP, Oracle and other enterprise-wide billing and accounting systems. This is a tax provision and compliance modeling function.
- Monitor state income tax legislation, model the impact on MPC and MPLX and provide timely feedback to state government affairs as needed.
- Lead the management of the state income tax modeling process for M&A activity, tax legislation, and any reorganization activity.
- Lead the management of the state income tax integration of acquisitions.
- Generate the ASC 740-270 state income tax portion of the annual and quarterly provision modeling (the tax package) and estimates for use by the Tax Accounting Manager in preparing the quarterly income tax provision.
- Assist in managing the forecasting of the income tax effective rate forecasting process and monthly cash flow reporting concerning state income taxes.
- Identify and coordinate with income tax accounting to determine potential impacts to state tax reporting requirements related to tax planning projects.
- Assist with Marathon’s obligation under the IRS CAP audit on a quarterly basis by providing all required data and detail to the Tax Director – Tax Law for interface with IRS.
- Provide complete management and oversight of all state income tax audits. Works directly with Tax Law on audit issues.
- Works directly, as needed, with the Tax Director – Tax Law on M&A and other discrete projects to determine the state income tax filing position, and all other state income tax impacts concerning the income tax planning processes.
- Manage the determination and analysis of all uncertain state income tax positions. Work directly with Tax Director – Tax Law to assist making final determinations of needed reserves and provide detail for needed journal entries.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
- 12+ years progressive state/federal income tax compliance and modeling experience at Big 4 and/or large publicly traded corporations; significant experience gained at smaller CPA/Law firms may be substituted in part
- 5-10 years supervisory experience of a large team (3-10 professional personnel)
- Proven ability to provide tax planning for M&A, legislative changes and tax provision forecasting
- Proven ability to manage large scale state income tax compliance processes
- Proven ability to successfully lead a tax compliance team
- Proven ability to generate large scale state income tax provisions for public entities using state of the art technology tools
- Experience with and knowledge of —
- Data extraction and analysis tools for purposes of state apportionment
- CorpTax or other large scale tax compliance and tax provision software
- SAP or other large scale ERP systems used to manage tax fixed assets
- State income tax law across all states
- Bachelors Degree in Accounting or related field required, MST a plus
- CPA required
Corporate Income Tax Manager
This position can be REMOTE or seated in San Antonio, TX, OR Findlay, OH
Management role in Fortune 25 tax department of 115 professionals; manage the 8-person corporate income tax team of 2 direct reports and 5-6 indirect reports. Responsibility includes mentoring, coaching and developing staff; managing tax compliance, Provision forecasts and assisting with income tax planning for Sub C and Sub K tax operations. Provide significant assistance for M&A, other planning and audit; regular interface with Accounting, Finance, Treasury & business personnel; report to and work closely with Tax Director, Income Tax – Federal and International.
- Managing a team of 7-8 persons, oversees the completion of annual federal income tax returns; including reviews and preparatory activities as necessary for the approximately 170 entities that are consolidated into the Marathon Petroleum Corporation & Affiliates corporation income tax return.
- Oversees, including reviews and preparatory activities as necessary, the completion of quarterly forecasts of annual federal taxable income for use in the ASC-740 income tax provisions as reported in the Company’s financial statements and as part of the financial forecast process. Ensures compliance with all relevant quarterly and annual SOX controls.
- Assists and coordinates with the Federal Partnership Income Tax Operations Manager to complete the Company’s federal income tax responsibilities as tax matters partner for partnerships part of the publicly-traded MPLX LP tax returns.
- Oversees and conducts preparatory activities as necessary for the determination of quarterly federal estimated tax payments.
- Ensures that the Company fully complies with the federal tax code. Ensures that the Company avails itself to all relevant and prudent federal tax opportunities and credits.
- Business development: Supports the determinations and explanations of federal income tax impacts of business development proposals and transactions, particularly those which support growth of the publicly-traded partnerships.
- Legislation: Supports the determinations and explanations of federal income tax impacts of federal legislative proposals. Coordinates relevant calculations of the federal tax impacts of enacted federal legislation.
- Assists Tax Law with IRS audits, IRS CAP audit, M&A analysis and any other modeling, data and other assistance as required by Tax Law activities.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Income tax compliance experience
- Minimum 10-15 years progressive experience in domestic corporate and partnership income tax compliance. Must have significant experience working in SEC registrants or Big 4 Accounting firms
- 6-years significant supervisory experience minimum
- Significant experience conducting audits and defending tax positions under examination
- Strong working knowledge of Sub-chapter C and and familiarity with Sub-chapter K
- SEC registrant income tax provision experience
- Must have 6 or more years preparing and/or reviewing ASC-740 accounting for SEC registrants
- Must be significantly experienced in developing the corporate income tax effective rate
- Must be able to direct and conduct income tax law research, effectively present results and determine tax positions
- Must have experience in effectively and quickly modeling
- Tax legislation what-if scenarios
- Cash taxes in an ever changing forecast environment
- Business development and M&A what-if scenarios
- Must be a committed team player and have demonstrated ability to –
- Provide highly effective work planning and communication to the entire tax team
- Work effectively with Tax Accounting and Tax Law managers
- Work effectively with Treasury and Budgeting personnel to develop forecasts
- Ability to mentor and develop tax professionals
- Personality – Inquisitive; high level of energy & integrity
- Significant income tax systems and tax provision systems experience, including working from disparate ERPs into a single income tax compliance/provision system
- Significant SAP or Oracle ERP experience
- Education: BS Accounting required;
- JD or MST highly beneficial
- CPA required