Alterra Mountain Company (HQ)
Job Title: Staff Tax Accountant
Location: Denver, CO
Hiring Company: Alterra Mountain Company (HQ)
AUTHENTICITY | PASSION | COMMUNITY | INNOVATION | ADVENTURE
Alterra Mountain Company is a family of 15 iconic year-round destinations, including the world’s largest heli-ski operation, offering the Ikon Pass, the new standard in season passes. The Ikon Pass connects the most iconic mountains across North America, Australia, New Zealand, Japan and Chile, delivering authentic, memorable snow adventures. Alterra Mountain Company owns and operates a range of recreation, hospitality, real estate development, food and beverage, retail, and service businesses.
Headquartered in Denver, Colorado, with destinations across the continent, Alterra Mountain Company is rooted in the spirit of the mountains and united by a passion for outdoor adventure. Alterra Mountain Company’s family of diverse playgrounds spans six U.S. states and three Canadian provinces: Steamboat and Winter Park Resort in Colorado; Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows, Mammoth Mountain, June Mountain and Big Bear Mountain Resort in California; Stratton and Sugarbush in Vermont; Snowshoe in West Virginia; Tremblant in Quebec, Blue Mountain in Ontario; Crystal Mountain in Washington; Deer Valley Resort and Solitude Mountain Resort in Utah; and CMH Heli-Skiing & Summer Adventures in British Columbia. Also included in the portfolio is Alpine Aerotech, a worldwide helicopter support and maintenance service center in British Columbia, Canada. Alterra Mountain Company honors each destination’s unique character and authenticity and celebrates the legendary adventures and enduring memories they bring to everyone.
A career with Alterra Mountain Company is more than what you do today; it’s being part of creating a community rooted in the spirit of the mountains, united by a passion for adventure, and celebrating the legendary adventures and enduring memories that mountains bring to everyone.
BESIDES WORKING SOMEWHERE AWESOME, WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- Free skiing + riding privileges across the family of Alterra Mountain Company resorts for all eligible employees and their dependents. And, discounted rates at non Alterra-owned Ikon Pass destinations.
- Flexible Time Off (FTO) policy for eligible employees to rest, relax and recharge
- Generous discounts on outdoor gear, apparel, rental cars, etc.
- Medical, dental, vision, life, AD&D, short term & long-term disability insurance, EAP, HSAs, FSAs, and more
- 401(k) plan with generous company match
- Discounted tuition with partner online university for all Alterra Mountain Company employees to further their education
- Paid parental leave of up to 6 weeks for eligible employees
- Commuter benefits (Denver employees only)
- Brand new Alterra Mountain Company office located in Denver’s RiNo Art District neighborhood
This position will be a team member of the department and will focus on ensuring that the Alterra Mountain Company is in compliance with all state and local statutes including tax, reporting, and surveys as required by law. This person will assist the department as a team member in other financial reporting aspects, enabling the team to successfully complete their goals and objectives in an efficient and timely manner.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Prepare balance sheet reconciliations
- Calculate and file unclaimed property reports
- Assess and post use tax accruals
- Prepare and upload journal entries
- Open and distribute departmental mail
- Research and monitor regulatory tax developments and tax law changes
- Assist with property tax payments and accruals
- Support the preparation of Sales/Use Tax Returns
- Coordinate the renewals of existing Business/Sales & Use tax licenses
- Assist with various outside agency audits, including communication with audit agencies, gathering data, collaboration with internal departments as needed, and documentation of issues and resolution
- Take an active role in understanding and becoming involved with the operations of the company to best serve the departments, the resorts, and the parent company.
- Participate in projects that are directly associated with your area of expertise to improve efficiencies, compliance and minimize overall risk to Alterra Mountain Company
- This job description is an overview of the scope of responsibilities and is not intended to be an inclusive list of job tasks and expectations
REQUIRED SKILLS, ABILITIES & QUALIFICATIONS
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Must demonstrate strong verbal and written skills for working with people at all levels within the organization, outside agencies, lawyers and consultants.
- Must have strong analytical skills
- Is detail oriented, self-motivated and able to provide problem resolutions
- Is approachable, responsive, and able to communicate effectively
- Is able to work independently and as a team member
- Is honest and has the highest integrity
- Is highly organized and sees projects through to the finish
- Is able to handle and manage confidential information
- Follows established policies and procedures and supports core values
- Is comfortable challenging established policies and procedures when appropriate
- Displays a professional appearance
- Can handle fast-paced environment
- Prioritizes and re-prioritizes personal time and works maintain a productive work/life balance
EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
- 2 years’ experience in a finance/accounting role
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting preferred
The base salary range below represents the low and high end of the Alterra Mtn Co Shared Services Inc. salary range for this position. Actual salaries will vary and may be above or below the range based on various factors including but not limited to experience, education, training, location, merit system, quantity or quality of production, responsibilities, and regular and/or necessary travel. The range listed is just one component of Alterra Mtn Co Shared Services Inc.’s total compensation package for employees. Other rewards may include short-term and long-term incentives and many region-specific benefits.
Denver area base salary range: $45,000 – $68,000 per year
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, talk, see, hear, and operate a computer and other office productivity machinery.
Indoor/Outdoor: While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to harsh and varying outside weather conditions.
Hazardous Materials/Noise: The noise level in the work place is usually moderate.
This job description is not an exhaustive list of all functions and responsibilities that an employee may be required to perform in this position. Alterra Mtn Co Shared Services Inc. and its affiliates reserve the right to modify, increase, decrease, suspend, and or eliminate any of the essential duties and/or the position in its entirety.
This job description is not an express or implied contract, guarantee, promise, or covenant of employment for any set term or duration, or for termination only for cause.
Employment with Alterra Mtn Co Shared Services Inc. or any of its affiliates is “at will” meaning either party may terminate the employment relationship at any time with or without cause and with or without notice.
This position is located in Colorado, and the work is primarily in Denver, CO and, as such, employment in this position is subject to the labor and employment laws of the state of Colorado.
Alterra Mtn Co Shared Services Inc. and its affiliates are equal opportunity employers and maintain drug-free workplaces. All employees and candidates are reminded that Alterra Mtn Co Shared Services Inc. and its affiliates adhere to all applicable labor and employment laws, and State, County, and City-specific labor and employment regulations, where applicable.