Job Title: Sr Controller, Govt Contracts, CPA firm
Location: Stamford, Connecticut (Remote Based)
Hiring Company: Accountingfly
Our client, a leader in outsourced virtual accounting services for businesses and one of Awarded Inc. Magazine’s Best Workplaces 2022 is looking for a Remote Senior Client Controller, CPA – Government Contracts to join their growing team.
Full time, W2
Location: REMOTE within the US
Our client’s team is passionate about their work and they are driven by innovation. Each and every day they strive for excellence. The work environment is equal parts casual and professional. They’re serious about their business and delivering the best service to their clients, but they also make it a priority to keep things fun and exciting. If you are a Sr. Controller with your CPA license and experience working with government contracts and multiple clients in an outsourced accounting environment, this position could be the perfect fit for you!
Current Client Benefits and Perks:
- Work from home, W-2 position
- Generous vacation and paid holidays
- Group Medical, Dental, Life, Vision, Accident Insurance
- 401(k) plan
- Casual dress
- Remote Senior Controller develops an understanding and awareness of each client’s unique business and accounting needs and requirements
- Provides strategic leadership into the scalable accounting operations of each client’s business, ensuring their internal control systems, policies and procedures are consistently followed
- Develop & maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures for clients use as needed
- Recommend financial tools for increasing efficiencies that aid in providing information clearly and in a meaningful delivery method
- Recommend benchmarks against which to measure the performance of company operations
- Evaluate systems and procedures to ensure efficiency and quality control
- Develop client’s annual budget and maintain cash forecasting tools as needed
- Manage the month-end closing and issue financial reports to all clients, every month
- Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting, contracts and general ledger structure.
- Ensures all information is properly entered into QuickBooks & ICAT.
- Analyze financial and operational information to provide real-time, meaningful recommendations and implementing actions based on findings. Partner with client’s leadership on operational and strategic decisions to enhance their performance.
- Develop and review financial and operating metrics through use of dashboards, including KPIS
- Identify variances from the budget and report significant variances to client
- Execute client conference calls on a regular basis to review strategy, current and future needs, as well as operational changes affecting financial results
- Assist in gathering pertinent tax related information for external tax return preparation
- Coordinate the provision of information to external audits for the annual audit or review
- Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements
- Review and approve monthly and quarterly tax filings – use/sales tax, property tax returns, payroll tax returns prepared by accounting specialists
- Complete special projects as requested by client
Accounting Team Leadership:
- Directs a team of virtual accounting professionals to accomplish priorities and deliverables in order to meticulously deliver timely and accurate monthly financial reporting package for multiple clients
- Support, train, motivate and mentor virtual accounting specialists in performance of their daily responsibilities so they can learn the tasks and procedures necessary to meet quality standards. Conduct timely performance reviews.
- Execute team meetings
- Utilize internal documentation system when updating/developing procedures and policies.
- Enforces a system of internal controls to verify integrity of processes and procedures are followed by staff
- Provide strategic guidance and operational decision making to our senior leadership team. Recommend and implement best practices to add value.
- Assist with interviewing and onboarding new team members, as needed
- Partner and collaborate with other Senior Controllers on best practices to enhance company knowledge sharing culture
The Senior Controller candidate will have extensive knowledge in accounting for businesses in the under $20M market. The ideal candidate should have 10 – 15 years of progressive accounting experience, with a combination 5+ years in public accounting and 5+ years in private industry.
- CPA strongly preferred
- Several years of direct, client facing outsourced accounting experience
- 5 years supervisory experience
- Strong experience with QuickBooks, ICAT and/or other accounting software packages
- Must have government contracting industry experience. Candidate must have a solid understanding of federal contracts, full accrual accounting and working knowledge of FAR, CAS, and DCAA requirements.
- Ability to multi-task and set daily, weekly and monthly priorities
- Adaptive leadership style with a passion for mentoring staff. Exceptional ability to work with all levels of within the organization while fostering a team environment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with ability to express oneself confidently
- Experience with hands on accounting with small to medium size businesses and ability to roll up your sleeves to get things done
- Technical, analytical focus with pro-active, problem solving nature. Ability to research and suggest proper accounting solutions.
- Thrives in a fast paced environment, with a sense of urgency to achieve timely, quality results
- Ability to make quick decisions based on knowledge and experience
- Works well within established standards and guidelines
- Ability to acclimate to various client environments
- High degree of computer literacy, including extensive knowledge in Microsoft Office, and specifically Outlook and Excel
- Ability to travel when necessary