Job Title: Plant Controller
Location: Courtright, ON
Hiring Company: CF Industries
CF Industries is a global leader in transforming natural gas into nitrogen. The chemical processes we use ensure we have the nitrogen we need to support life on earth – from fertilizer that feeds the crops that feed the world to products that remove harmful emissions from industrial activities. Through our nine world-class manufacturing complexes and best-in-class distribution system, we serve agricultural and industrial customers. We invite you to be a part of our nearly 3,000 employees making a difference every day.
AH20B2 Accounting, Exempt
The Plant Controller has a direct reporting relationship to the Director, Plant and Cost Accounting within the Corporate Controllers department. This position acts as a key business partner to the Plant General Manager and their direct reports by providing financial oversight, critical analysis, and actively soliciting process improvement opportunities. This role acts as the key person responsible for providing timely and accurate financial and operational reporting with corresponding analysis. In addition, this individual is responsible for establishing an environment that ensures and maintains a high level of internal control over these reporting practices. The Plant Controller will establish procedures to ensure that plant personnel are knowledgeable of and adhere to all financial policies.
This individual will direct all financial activities related to accounting processes, annual planning, periodic spare parts reviews, fixed assets, maintenance activities, and budgeted or unplanned turnarounds. This role will also manage all internal and external audit requirements.
The Plant Controller acts as the key financial business partner to the Plant General Manager by providing operational financial data and analysis. This position supervises and directs the month end close process by preparing, reviewing, and verifying the accuracy of journal entries; accounting classifications; and account analysis along with year-end close functions. The incumbent is also responsible for ensuring accurate Fixed Assets accounting. This is achieved by maintaining a close relationship with Maintenance and Engineering managers to track project progress, asset capitalizations and retirements, proper internal order classification, and establishing a thorough accrual review process. The Plant Controller leads monthly cost review meetings comparing actual results to plan and prior periods in order to identify key data sources and utilizes data-driven insights about important plant wide or departmental metrics to improve business decisions.
The incumbent helps to support quarterly and annual internal and external audits by providing requested support documentation and analysis. The incumbent also prepares the annual budget and contributes to budget forecasting updates throughout the year. The Plant Controller also oversees the preparation of cost statements, accounting statements and reports, and operational reports. This individual is responsible for ensuring that production and accounts payable invoices are accurately recorded daily while supervising a clerical and professional staff. This role will also communicate to Corporate personnel deviations from established policies.
- Acts as a key financial reporting resource to Corporate and local management
- Leads and supervises professional accounting and clerical staff
- Accounts for, manages, and reports on the local capital and maintenance spending process
- Performs/Reviews monthly inventory costing process
- Reconciles/reviews inventory through the local production reporting systems
- Manages local plant Accounts Payable function and analyzes monthly aging reports
- Makes recommendations and suggestions on best methods and strategies to streamline accounting and plant processes (and implements)
- Reviews monthly journal entries and month end analyses
- Prepares various exhibits and commentary required for reports issued to management, outside Directors and government agencies
- Provides financial forecasting, budgeting and analyzing variations from company budgets
- Reviews written procedures on job responsibilities
- Coordinate and prepare tax analysis and filings as determined by Corporate Tax and local taxing authorities.
- Assists with internal and external audits as needed
- Prepares all other analyses as required
- Provide leadership, guidance, coaching, and process oversight for plant accounting
- Provide assistance to Financial Planning & Analysis through the annual plan and forecasting periods.
- Advises stakeholders on the accounting implications of strategic decisions and highlight any potential risks to internal controls and compliance.
- Provides direction to individuals regarding their role and responsibilities to help meet the overall Company objectives, along with the role the department has in fulfilling plant goals
- Empower and promotes the proper level of responsibility and authority for others to learn, grow into new responsibilities and make the proper decisions to obtain the overall department objectives
- Demonstrates the highest level of integrity and trust in all aspects of the job by working continually towards self-development, staying abreast of all current information and technology, and be knowledgeable with FASB & AICPA governing bodies affecting functional areas to increase innovation and ensure compliance Promotes the corporate controller's group by developing strong relationships between department members and other CF departments through a high degree of communication across management
- Promotes the matrix organizational structure with direct reports and encourages cross involvement between people and groups
Establishes and implements processes and procedures to meet departmental internal controls requirements. Ensures that established processes/procedures are followed as designed. Works with Internal Controls Department to identify deficiencies in existing processes/procedures, the need for new ones, and the extent to which such processes/procedures are being followed. Develops and implements corrective actions with regard to department internal controls as necessary.
Successful incumbents will have:
- A bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance related; MBA preferred
- CPA required
- Public accounting experience preferred
- 10+ years supervisory experience in manufacturing accounting, CPA/MBA and public accounting experience preferred
- Experience at manufacturing plants with a high level of complexity including a high volume of capital projects, multiple products with an intricate manufacturing process and supporting multiple departments within a plant
- Ability to work independently and be self-directed; high level of self-motivation with the ability to understand and follow detailed instructions
- Ability to function effectively while meeting deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and administrative skills
- Must be proficient in PC use within a Windows environment, with an intermediate knowledge of Excel, Word, and PowerPoint. Familiarity with SAP accounting systems desired
Incumbents in this position use and know the fundamental accounting concepts and practices of GAAP. They apply established methods/procedures to perform work that is often varied and may be difficult. Incumbents are expected to function independently.
- CF Industries is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
- Employees in the US can learn more about their rights by viewing the federal “EEO is the Law” poster (PDF) and others as detailed below:
Employee Polygraph Protection Act
- Employees in Canada can learn more about their rights by viewing the “Canadian Human Rights Act”.
If you need any assistance seeking a job opportunity at CF Industries, or if you need reasonable accommodation with the application process, please call 847-405-2400 or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.