The Friedkin Group
Job Title: Payroll Manager
Location: Houston, TX
Hiring Company: The Friedkin Group
The Manager, Payroll will manage the daily operations of the Payroll Department for the affiliated Friedkin companies. Management will include overseeing ADP, Dimensions and other systems including the development and maintenance activities for these systems. The manager will serve as the Payroll liaison with departments and business units in the resolution of all payroll issues, including timely and efficient processing of services. The manager will lead the teams to be customer focused and will make recommendations to methods and/or procedures to improve efficiency in the department. The manager will also maintain and analyze payroll transactions in accordance with TFG policies and procedures. The Manager will also maintain accurate records, review applicable reports and registers to ensure accuracy and audit methods and procedures to improve efficiency. The Manager will take action to enhance cross-functional coordination and expand internal communications to associates and business units.
* Leads, motivates, rewards, and develops the TFG Payroll team members.
* Manages the operations of TFG Payroll for the affiliated Friedkin companies which include bi-weekly multi-state payroll, monthly incentives, garnishments, and taxes consistent with federal and state wages and hour's laws.
* Establishes and maintains internal policies and processes to ensure the quality, timeliness and accuracy of Payroll data collection, processing, accounting, reporting, distribution and payments, including, but not limited to calendar and processing deadlines, timekeeping and hours paid or accrued on biweekly and incentive payrolls, payments to vendors, and related auditing processes.
* Performs selected self-assessment and audit procedures of payrolls to increase accuracy and decrease risk of fraud and errors.
* Manages the maintenance of payroll records to ensure highest level of confidentiality and compliance with government regulations and company policies.
* Interprets policies and government regulations in connection with payroll activities and make recommendations to the Director, Corporate Accounting and Financial Services.
* Leads and manages the Payroll Specialists to ensure compliance with internal controls, customer service levels and maximization of the use of system capabilities. On occasion, will serve as back-up, as needed, providing training, coordinating schedules, monitoring performance levels, providing feedback, coaching, counseling, including hiring.
* Contributes to, manages and coordinates continuous process improvements to maintain the quality, efficiency and overall effectiveness of the payroll functions and system of internal controls.
* Manages ADP and Dimensions development and maintenance activities including, but not limited to, implementation of and/or execution of system setups, automation of manual processes, preparation of project plans, system testing, upgrades and conversions.
* Researches, analyzes, and resolves complex payment issues; direct resolution of payroll issues quickly and strives to satisfy customers and vendors on a timely basis.
* Manages the TFG Payroll budget and assists in coordination of the budgeting process with TFG management.
* Oversees federal tax payments and government reporting (e.g., SUTA, FUTA, and quarterly federal 941s).
* Prepares payroll related reports for Worker's Compensation renewals and audits.
* Implements, maintains, and reviews technical aspects of payroll software/HRIS.
* Coordinates with accounting to facilitate accurate recording of payroll related items, payroll bank reconciliations and changes in payroll law.
* Leads Business Continuity efforts related to payroll including maintaining an updated business continuity plan and conducting regular business continuity tests
* Responsibly receive, transmit, and handle consumer and customer data per applicable policies and procedures.
* Review and follow data privacy practices, policies, and guidelines.
* Performs other duties/projects, as assigned.
* Manages three or more associates. Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, development and evaluation of these associates.
* Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training associates; planning, assigning, coordinating, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding, coaching and disciplining associates; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
* Responsibilities also include sponsoring, directing, coordinating, and supporting project and process improvement teams, and participating in and/or supporting project teams sponsored by other management team members
Bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university; and eight to ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Additionally a minimum of five years of supervisory experience is required.
* Business acumen — knowledge of business operations and key factors impacting business successes.
* Process orientation — understands process components and attributes. Identifies, prioritizes and implements process improvement opportunities.
* Performance Management — Knowledge of methods used to improve operational performance. Able to put concepts into action; activity based costing/management, balanced scorecard, bench marking techniques, best practices, key performance indicators, etc.
* Shared services characteristics – Knowledge of the characteristics of a shared service center. Apply concepts, implement strategy.
* Customer Orientation — Continually seeks to understand and act upon customer needs, concerns, and priorities.
* Leadership — Guides individuals and groups toward desired outcomes, by building confidence based on a shared vision and the means to attain it.
* People development — Accurately assesses the needs of others and fosters their learning or development (matching skills with roles and responsibilities).
* Technical expertise — Familiarity with payroll software/ HRIS (e.g. SAP, ADP, PeopleSoft) and MS Office (especially Excel). Applies up-to-date knowledge and skills needed to do the job.
* Interpersonal aptitude — maintains effective working relationships with others both within and outside of their team.
* Interpersonal influence — uses interpersonal aptitude skills to build relationships beneficial in achieving work-related goals. Gains attention and respect of others.
* Commitment to quality — provides products and services of the highest quality, sets quality standards
* Achievement orientation — sets high performance standards, sets aggressive goals and is able to achieve them.
* Self-development — takes a pro-active role in developing and pursuing career goals.
* Company-wide perspective — Understands complementary, interdependent nature of work processes and defines one's work within this context.
* Business insight — Understands how new events will affect individuals and business processes.
* Facilitation of others — Leads both formal and informal meetings which maximize the group's potential to make decisions and generate solutions.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS*
Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) is strongly preferred.
Has valid driver's license and must be legally able to work in the United States.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. While performing the duties of the job, the associate is required on a daily basis to analyze and interpret data, communicate, and remain in a stationary position for a significant amount of the work day; and frequently access, input, and retrieve information from the computer and other office productivity devices. The associate is regularly required to move about the office and around the corporate campus. The associate is frequently required to travel to other sites, including out-of-state, where applicable, for business purposes. A large amount of this travel involves driving a company vehicle. The associate must frequently move up to 10 pounds and occasionally move up to 25 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an associate encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The associate will regularly be exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, areas in which moving mechanical parts, fumes, toxic or caustic chemicals are present, and outside weather conditions. The noise level for this position will vary and the associate may be exposed to loud noise levels.
The job requires significant domestic travel (up to 50% of the time). As a result, the duties for this position occur in various places including, but not limited to an office environment, car dealerships, and semi-industrial settings.
*Legally authorized to work in the United States, without Sponsorship
The Friedkin Group and its affiliates are equal opportunity employers and maintain drug-free workplaces by conducting pre-employment drug testing.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled