Job Title: Investment Accounting-Real Estate- Vice President – NYC
Location: New York, NY
Hiring Company: BlackRock
About this role
GAAPS Alternatives | Vice President NAV Oversight | New York
Elevate your career by joining the world's largest asset manager! Thrive in an environment that promotes positive relationships and recognizes outstanding performance! We know you want to feel valued every single day and be recognized for your contribution. At BlackRock, we strive to empower our employees and effectively engage your involvement in our success. With over USD $7 trillion of assets we have an outstanding responsibility: our technology and services empower millions of investors to save for retirement, pay for college, buy a home and improve their financial well-being.
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
We are looking to add a senior controller to our growing Alternative Operations team in New York which oversees the accounting, reporting and administration for various closed-end and hybrid alternative investment products. The team interacts with 3rd party service providers and internal groups such as portfolio management, operations, legal and compliance and product tax to ensure the funds’ financial activities are properly recorded. This particular role will have a major focus on the integration of our U.S. Real Estate business (both debt and equity) into a strong and consistent operating model within Alternative Business Operations.
- Oversee external administration, accounting and financial reporting for assigned group of funds;
- Review NAV accounting packages prepared by the external administrators for accuracy and completeness as part of the periodic NAV close process for the funds;
- Ensure periodic fund NAV, investor reporting, regulatory reporting, and financial reporting deliverable deadlines are met;
- Consistently perform risk assessments and proactively drive improvements in internal control environment and procedures both internally and at 3rd party service provider;
- Review investor allocations, as well as management fee and distribution/waterfall calculations for funds;
- Provide oversight of year-end audits performed by independent accountants in conjunction with external administrator involvement;
- Research, interpret, document and implement new accounting releases that affect the funds;
- Assist with review and approval of fund operating expenses;
- Assist with data aggregation and calculations for regulatory filings;
- Work with external administrator, internal team members and other BlackRock groups to resolve fund accounting and other operational issues, as identified;
- Perform periodic internal reporting to other BlackRock groups (e.g. fund metrics, AUM, fee revenue, investor data);
- Lead and participate in group projects and initiatives;
- Respond to ad hoc requests from outside investors and other BlackRock groups.
- 9+ years of investment / fund accounting /public accounting (audit) work experience or equivalent, including review experience for at least a portion of that time.
- Strong leadership and management skills and ability to collaborate across many teams
- Dynamic individual with very strong communication skills, both written (presentations/policies/process documents) and verbal.
- Positive attitude with very strong problem solving skills
- Great Multi-tasking skills, great project management skills and deadline focused
- Minimum education requirement: Bachelor Degree in Accounting
- Minimum experience requirement: 10 years accounting experience (public accounting experience is a plus).
- Knowledge of technical and regulatory issues affecting the alternatives investment fund industry, including knowledge of investment company accounting/reporting, US GAAP and IFRS. (Real Estate/Infrastructure/Private Equity/Valuation experience a plus.)
- CPA candidate preferred but not required
- Standout colleague with excellent interpersonal skills including ability to collaborate with a broad network of colleagues to help resolve issues
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills – ability to interact and clearly communicate complex concepts to a wide variety of partners
- Fluency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint)
- Bi-lingual in Spanish/English strongly desired
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about.
At BlackRock, we are all connected by one mission: to help more and more people experience financial well-being. Our clients, and the people they serve, are saving for retirement, paying for their children’s educations, buying homes and starting businesses. Their investments also help to strengthen the global economy: support businesses small and large; finance infrastructure projects that connect and power cities; and facilitate innovations that drive progress.
This mission would not be possible without our smartest investment – the one we make in our employees. It’s why we’re dedicated to creating an environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, valued and supported with networks, benefits and development opportunities to help them thrive.
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.